Guide to making a good shop

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Guide to making a good shop

Post by L4nd0 on Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:41 am

Hi, in this guide I will show you how to make a good shop.

Contents:
Getting started
Requests
Name
Theme(s)
-Brush places
-Text places
Banner
Waiting list
Done list
End credits.

Getting Started:

Alright, so you want to make a shop of your own? Well, you've come to the right place. First off, what you want to do ALWAYS is make quite a few examples, most likely 8-11 I think that would be enough for people to choose from. Also, a form for people to fill out would be very helpful, it would also cut down on the random requests. The form should look something like this:

Form:
Render/Stock:
Artist(If you have more than one person):
Colors:
Sig type(Depends on if you have more than one theme):
Text:

Now we have the form, but if you're new to GFX you might be saying "Now what the world do I do with this?" This is a very simple thing that I will explain right now.

Render/Stock: This is the picture that is normally inside the signature, like the basis for the entire sig theme, this is a very important thing to take into consideration for you, and your customers. A few good places to get Render(s)/Stock(s) are: Google, Planet renders, and Deviant art(Also helps for brushes.). Tinypic may also have some, I'm not 100% sure on that.

Requests:

On this, I would probably limit yourself to 3 or 4 requests a day, or how many ever you feel comfortable with. If you promise too much people will get restless, and go to a different shop. So I would have something in the banner(will cover later) That says some thing like "Can only do *Insert amount of requests here* a day." Under your shop's name. Also, again going back to the do not promise too much thing, tell people what you can do, like say you own at signatures, but stink at animations. Don't tell people that you can do animations when you can't, this will also annoy people. This is where the form effect would go, if you have a good form people will probably behave. And that's pretty much it for this section.

Name:

Now, your name is like your one thing that you want to stand out more than anything else, if your name is something long, say about 10 or 11 words, people will most likely not want to request. You also do not want a one or two word name, so I think a happy median would be around a 3-5 word title.
You also want pizazz, what I mean by that is... you want to wow people into coming into your shop, if it's something normal like(Gunna use my name) "Zmac's shop" people will not request most likely. Sometimes these work, but usually you see shop's like the FBB GFX center getting alot of requests, it's because their name is a "Wower". I have seen a few shops with names like "The metal GFX center", that will get alot of publicity because the name stands out among others. This has been name choosing.

Theme(s):

This is the fun part! Your theme has alot to do with your customers as well, if you are very good at GIMP, or Photo Shop, then people will see your sigs and say "Hey, I'd like a sig like that!" and come running to your shop. So if you want to have multiple sig themes then you would put a few examples of them. Okay, say you have light and dark sigs and want to tell people about them, here is how you would do it.

Examples:
Light:
example 1
example 2
example 3
example 4
example 5
etc.(If you want more.)

Dark:
example 1
example 2
example 3
example 4
example 5
etc.(If you want more.)

But if you would just like to have one theme, put that in your title as well(EX. The ultimate *Theme* shop). Then it would be something like this.

Examples:
Sig 1:
Sig 2:
Sig 3:

(As you can see, I like the dark sig style.)

-Brushes, and places to get brushes:

Brushes make your sig look better, an give it a nice texture. I don't use them much, but on the off chance I do I like using ones that will go with the signature so that means don't just throw something on there, like a cloud pattern when the sig is clearly not dealing with anything close to that.

Brush places, these will be helpful for your sig's as well, there are a few, so look around. I will, however, give you one good place. [URL="http://Deviantart.com"]Deviant art[/URL].

-Text, and places to get text:

This is one of the more, non-important parts of the sig. It's basically your choice so if you absolutely hate text, don't worry it's not that important. It does make your sig better, however.

Places to get text, this is a very easy step, all you have to do is go to some text places. They're all around so look. I will again give you one of the better places to get text. [URL="http://www.dafont.com"]Dafont[/URL].

Banner:

This is also one of the least important details, but it can be a good addition to your shop in appearance. It goes over ALL the text in the shop, and stands out the most. So I would make the size of it around 800 x 1000 Pixels. The manner it should be placed should be center, so here is what it should look like.

[C ENTER]BANNER[C ENTER/]

text
text
text
etc.

Once you have figured out your theme(s), and shop name, design the banner with a sig or two, and a little bit of something new just for fun to decorate it a little more than you have already.
The sigs should probably be placed in a manner such as the below.

Waiting list:

The waiting list assures the customer that you know about their request, and everything. I would probably, if I were you, copy the page URL and put it on the customers name. The waiting list should look something like the below.

Waiting list:
-name(pg. #)
-name(pg. #)
-name(pg. #)
-name(pg. #)
-name(pg. #)
(spots depend on how many requests you are doing)

Done list:

The done list alerts people to when their sig is done, this way you don't have to contact them in any way, and can keep on working. Here is how it should look.

Done list:
-name(Sig link on their name as a link)
(Depends on amount of customers)

I found this guild and it was good enough to use here :lol!:

.:ılı:.Meloa.:ılı:.

(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.- Administrator -.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)

http://www.2shared.com/fadmin/2959572/bbf373c5/Adobe_Photoshop_70_for_PC_with_serial.zip
L4nd0
Umma do Me™
Umma do Me™

Male Number of posts : 120
Club Penguin Name : collanndo, Awesome1000,
Reffer (how have you known of these site) : I made the site. lol
Registration date : 2007-08-18

View user profile http://www.l4ndo.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Guide to making a good shop

Post by Mofraud0 on Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:02 am

cool guide
Mofraud0
CP fan
CP fan

Male Number of posts : 42
Club Penguin Name : umm....Jetde
Reffer (how have you known of these site) : L4nd0
Registration date : 2007-08-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by spacedog on Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:47 pm

Nice guide, I am sure this will help people making shops!
spacedog
Trainee Mod
Trainee Mod

Male Number of posts : 34
Location : Canada, the only place in the world that you say it sure is great here and all they say is Eh?
Club Penguin Name : space dog
Reffer (how have you known of these site) : L4ndo :P
Registration date : 2007-09-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top